Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Is Montresor mad?

"Do you know why you're here today?" The police asked.

"No officer, I haven't got a clue" Montresor replied.  

"Someone told me that they saw you and Fortunato together on the last night he's been missing."
"Yes, he was my dear friend, I asked him if he wanted some more wine because it was Carnival. When we were nearing the catacombs I noticed that he had a severe cough. He said it was nothing, then I convinced him to go back to Carnival, it'd be better there."

"So you asked him if he wanted some of your wine? I'm not one to judge but that seems a little lame." Replied the police officer.

"Yes, but he had a love of wine. I wanted to see if the wine I bought was of value. I bought a whole cask of it. I needed confirmation on if it was worth the money I paid." Montresor stated.

"Moving on, the anonymous witness said that it saw you with a sword of some kind. Is this true?" The officer asked

"Yes it's true, but it wasn't a real sword. It was simply a prop for my carnival costume. We were both dressed up." 

"Really? Do you think you still have that 'prop', if you do please show me."

"That's absurd! Why would I keep a prop from 50 years ago?" Montresor exclaimed. 

"Ok, calm down sir, where were you by the time of 9:00 to 12:00 the day of Fortunato's disappearance?" The officer asked. 

"Well, I was hanging out with Fortunato since the house was empty. Then he left at around 10-11 pm. We were both intoxicated so I don't remember the exact time." Montresor stated.

"You said earlier that you were nearing the catacombs and went home after that." The officer said.

"Um, well, uh... we did go but left at that time." Montresor struggled to get those last words out.


     The room was silent. The officer stared him down and ignored the incoming sounds from his radio. Montresor was very nervous, he could feel the sweat as it trickled down his forehead. His palms were getting warmer and sweatier. Montresor knew he now has to put up with the guilt he felt years ago when he heard the jingle of Fortunato's hat. He decided enough was enough, he pointed behind the officer, yelled something and ran when the officer was distracted. Montresor decided to visit where he buried Fortunato before he was arrested. He ran all the way to the catacombs where he heard police say, 'You're surrounded!". "Good," though Montresor as he was only going to see Fortunato. Once he arrived the police were there. Before they went to restrain Montresor he calmly said to the brick wall he built years ago, "I feel a strong guilt for doing killing a man, even if it was you. But, it was worth it!" He crazily cackled as the police took him away.

7 comments:

  1. Great Blog! I liked how you really kept Montresors' character. I also liked how you had him run back to the catacombs in the end, and the mad cackle was genius. You kinda showed what anger and guilt can do to a person! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good job Carlos! I liked how you added a contradiction into Montresor's story. It made the story seem a bit more realistic and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you kept your word choice easier to read, because reading like 28 narratives with overly verbose passages can wear on a person. But not only your word choice made this interesting, I could tell you had fun while you wrote this :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good story. In my story as well I had him misspeak and trap himself. I also had him as acting kind of insane in the end. Good ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good narrative Carlos. I like the humor you put into the police officers' response. I like how you made Montresor trick the police officer and run back to the catacombs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you have Montresor go crazy at the end. I would hope the police are better at guarding a suspect then that, but I guess that's what caused them to not be able to found Fortunato. Umm... I guess it all makes sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Blog. I really liked the creativity of the ending. It was very similar to Diego's blog. I can tell this is your writing because of the creativity. Great job.

    ReplyDelete